Please sign up by Friday 10 May!
The Japan Association of Translators (JAT) will hold the 30th International Japanese-English Translators (IJET) Conference at Cairns Convention Centre from 28-30 June 2019.
2019 marks the 30th anniversary of IJET, which is an annual conference for professional Japanese-English translators and interpreters that is held in Japan and overseas in alternate years.
This year’s program and presenters reflect the 30-year history of IJET and hints at its future through the theme of “Life, Style and Translation.”
The IJET30 Organising committee is recruiting students who are studying Japanese and/or native Japanese speakers who are studying English, and who would like to attend the IJET30 conference as a volunteer to learn more about the translation and interpretation industry as a career option.
Volunteering is also a great way to network with other student volunteers, as well as with professional translators and interpreters and other professionals who are attending IJET30 from Japan, Australia and other countries.
Benefits of becoming student volunteer:
- Student volunteers will not be busy for the entire conference. There should be enough time for you to freely attend some of the presentations you are interested in. (While every effort will be made to accommodate your requests, this will also depend on the scheduling of volunteers.)
- The $130 student registration fee is waived.
- Lunch is provided on the day.
- Transportation costs to and from your accommodation to the venue is covered (up to $10/day).
- Student volunteers will be working closely with the committee members, who are all professional translators and interpreters.
Conditions for student volunteers:
- Student volunteers must be current students who are studying Japanese and/or native Japanese speakers who are studying English (undergraduate/school students), or who are working on Japan-related research (graduate students).
- Volunteers should also be good representatives of their university/school, by working responsibly and effectively at the conference.
Responsibilities as student volunteers:
- Student volunteers will assist the IJET Committee members at the Cairns Convention Centre between 7:30am and 5:30pm from 29-30 June 2019, and between 5:30pm and 9:00pm on Saturday 29 June for the banquet (reception desk and other duties, as required).
- Some volunteers will also be needed on Friday 28 June between 12:30pm and 5:30pm to help with the SIG meetings and preparation for the main conference on 29-30 June.
- You can choose to volunteer for part of a day, if you are not available for the entire conference. Volunteers can assist for the whole day, or for the morning or afternoon sessions only. This is also subject to scheduling, once the total number of volunteers has been determined.
- Volunteers will be assigned the following tasks (specific tasks will be determined closer to the conference.)
- Setting up/running the registration table
- Videoing/Photographing presentations
- Ushering participants to and between sessions
- Microphone runner/general assistant during sessions
- Acting as the session room captain
- Assisting IJET30 Committee members as required
If you are currently studying or interested in Japanese-English translation and/or interpreting, please join us at IJET30 as a student volunteer. It’s a great opportunity to learn about the industry, network with professional translators and meet local students!
We will require around a total of 15-20 volunteers for Saturday 29 June and Sunday 30 June, and about 5-10 volunteers for Friday 28 June.
Volunteers will be mainly recruited from several universities and colleges in Cairns, as this is the most cost effective for students wishing to volunteer (the IJET Committee does not pay for accommodation for any volunteers, including those located in Cairns).
Volunteers from Brisbane are also welcome (students from Brisbane need to find and pay for their own flights to/from Cairns to Brisbane, and accommodation while in Cairns).
Volunteer will be selected according to their availability and skills.